Christmas Stories ~ The Two Heroines of Plumplington
Join us for a Christmas Zoom. We will be discussing one of Trollope’s best-loved Christmas stories, The Two Heroines of Plumplington, first published in ‘Good Cheer’, Christmas number of Good Words, Dec. 1882.
The Two Heroines of Plumplington is included in the Oxford World’s Classics edition of The Warden, edited by Nicholas Shrimpton, published in 2014.
Trollope returns to Barsetshire, to the little town of Plumplington, to tell the story of Emily Greenmantle, daughter of a bank manager, and Polly Peppercorn, daughter of a foreman at Du Boung’s brewery, and their two lovers.
Register free for the complete 2023 BIG READ
This is the final meeting of the 2023 BIG READ. You only need to register once, you can then attend any of the 2023 BIG READ Zoom meetings without needing to register again. You can cancel your registration at any time.
We will send you an email with instructions on how to join and the password. Using Zoom is easy, just click on the link in the email and follow the instructions. Please note that you will not be able to join the meeting until 8.00pm (UK time) on the day.
- Visit our books and characters database for more information on The Two Heroines of Plumplington and other Christmas stories.
- Available on Amazon.co.uk in several formats including Kindle.
- Available on Amazon.com in hardback and paperback
- Available on Abebooks.com in hardback and paperback.
- Available free to download from Standard Ebooks, included in Short Fiction by Anthony Trollope
A rare find - 1954 edition contemporary reviews
- Page 1: Shows the dust cover of my copy of the novel, printed in Great Britain in 1954. I recently bought this used book to read for our Zoom. To my surprise and delight, I received more than an old used book for the $10.89 I paid for it!
- Page 2: Shows the handwritten name of the buyer dated November 26, 1954. As to the handwritten price of $1, I think that must have been the price when the book was re-sold (although not to me).
- Page 3: The third page is a much yellowed newspaper cut-out of a review of The Two Heroines of Plumplington, glued onto the following page. As you can see, the author of that review was the chair of the Department of English of Brooklyn College
- Page 4: Shows a review of the book. Note the asterisk regarding the cause of Trollope’s death. I hope it’s true!
- Page 5: Shows the title page.
Volunteer to introduce a Zoom meeting
Join the Online Conversazione WhatsApp group
Watch recordings of previous Zoom meetings
Address: Free Zoom Meeting - Registration required