Online Conversazione ~ Christmas Stories
Join us for a Christmas Zoom. We will be discussing two of Trollope’s lesser-known stories, The Widow’s Mite and The Two Generals, two American Civil War Christmas stories.
- The Widow’s Mite was originally published in Good Words, Jan. 1863 and published in Lotta Schmidt and Other Stories, 1867.
- The Two Generals was originally published in Good Words, Dec. 1863 and published in Lotta Schmidt and Other Stories, 1867.
Note: this is a change from the originally advertised Christmas story Christmas Day at Kirkby Hall.
Anthony Trollope wrote eight Christmas stories.
- The Mistletoe Bough
- Christmas at Thompson Hall
- Christmas Day at Kirkby Cottage
- The Two Heroines of Plumplington
- The Widow’s Mite
- The Two Generals
- Catherine Carmichael of Three Years Running
- Not If I Know It
Dr Ellen Moody will introduce both stories. Participants can chose to read one or both of the stories.
Dr Moody holds a Ph.D in British Literature and taught in American senior colleges for more than 40 years. Since 2013 she has been teaching older retired people at two Oscher Institutes of Lifelong Learning, one attached to American University (Washington, DC) and other to George Mason University (in Fairfax, Va). She is also a literary scholar with specialties in 18th century literature, translation, early modern and women’s studies, film, nineteenth and 20th century literature and of course Trollope. For Trollope she wrote a book on her experiences of reading Trollope on the Internet with others, some more academic style essays, two on film adaptations, the most recent on Trollope’s depiction of settler colonialism: “On Inventing a New Country.” Here is her website: http://www.jimandellen.org/ellen/
Register for the talk – free
We will send you an email with instructions on how to join and the password. Using Zoom is easy, just click on the link in the email and follow the instructions. Please note that you will not be able to join the meeting until 8.00pm (UK time) on the day.
- The Widow’s Mite – Books and Characters database. (Warning – includes plot spoilers)
- The Two Generals – Books and Characters database. (Warning – includes plot spoilers)
- Download a free Gutenberg Project ebook of Lotta Schmidt and Other Stories here.
Please support the work of the Trollope Society
There is no charge for this event, but we would be grateful if you would consider making a donation.
We are working hard to raise the profile of Anthony Trollope. Our resources are limited, and our ambition great, so we’re asking for your help. You can donate using your credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.
Address: Free Zoom meeting - Registration required