Trollope Society Trip to Florence ~ April 2020
Given the increasingly worrying situation regarding the coronavirus, the Trollope Society Committee has taken the decision to cancel all activities planned as part of the Trollope Society itinerary.
The Society is organising a trip to Florence in April 2020 to follow in the footsteps of Anthony Trollope who visited the city several times to stay with his mother Fanny, and his brother Thomas Adolphus and their relatives who lived for a time in the city.
Trollope Society draft itinerary includes:
- Afternoon tea at the British Institute (which has a unique collection of Trollope books)
- Lecture by Mark Roberts (consultant to the British Institute) on some 19th Century literary visitors to Florence
- Visit to the English Cemetery where Fanny Trollope and other family members are buried
- Lecture by Julia Bolton Holloway (librarian, archivist and custodian of the English Cemetery) on Fanny Trollope and her political and social activism
- Seminar on He Knew He Was Right
- Walking tour of the city and the villa where the Trollope family lived
- Three course dinner with wine at a restaurant that looks out across the Piazza San Marco to the Basilica di San Marco
The price of the above programme is £100. Please note that is subject to confirmation and exchange rates.
- Optional three course dinner with wine at a restaurant that looks out across the Piazza San Marco to the Basilica di San Marco. Price £60.
Flights and accomodation
To provide flexibility and ensure the best value air fares and hotel rates, members are asked to make their own arrangements for travel and accomodation.
Meetings, seminars, lectures & free time
Meetings and lectures will held at Hotel Ricasoli and at the British Institute. For more information visit www.hotelricasoli.it
The trip includes free time for you to explore the city and its many attractions including the magnificent Duomo, the world-famous Uffizi Gallery and dozens of other museums and sights.
3rd March 2020 update
Given the increasingly worrying situation regarding the Coronavirus, the Trollope Society Committee has taken the decision to cancel all activities planned as part of the Trollope Society itinerary.
Address: Florence, Italy